Examination 92. M,
Parents' National Educational Union.
The Parents' Union School.
(Address: House of Education, Ambleside.)
Motto: "I am, I can, I ought, I will."
FORM II, (A & B)
PUPILS' NAMES ____________________________________
I. A & B 1. Describe the events of the night when Israel came out of Egypt.
2. Give an account of the occasions when Moses met with God on Mount Sinai.
3. Describe the institution of the Passover and its meaning.
II. A & B 1. What question did St. John (in prison) send messengers to ask our Lord, and what answer did he get? Tell the whole story.
2. (a), "What lack I yet?" (b), "Lo, we have left all." What answers did our Lord give to (a), the young ruler,
(b), St. Peter, and what lessons may we learn?
A 3. Give and explain briefly four of the parables of the Kingdom.
Write (A), 4, (B), 2 lines of poetry from memory.
A & B 1. Describe a scene in Julius Caesar in which Mark Antony appears.
2. An account of "The Wedding of a Princess," or, the Burial of Sir E. Shackleton.
3. Tell a story in prose or verse about one of the following:--King Arthur, Svartheim, Achilles, Beowulf, King Olaf.
A wind came up out of the sea,
And said, "Oh mists, make room for me."
It hailed the ships and cried, "Sail on,
Ye mariners, the night is gone."
A 1. Analyse, parsing words in italics.
B 2. Pick out Subjects and Predicates, and say what part of speech each word is in line 1.
A 3. Make sentences to show the use of each kind of adverb.
2. Use the following words, each as two different parts of speech,--above, after, before, but, as.
B 2. Use, in sentences, the word,--in, on, with, at, against, and say what parts of speech they join.
A & B 1. Give some account of the landing and the doings of Julius Caesar in Britain.
2. "Then Augustine came before King Ethelbert." Tell the whole story.
3. How did St. Swithin educate King Alfred? What did Alfred do for England besides fight her battles?
A 4. What do Caesar and Tacitus tell us of the early Britons?
A & B 1. What do you know of (a), Vercingetorix, (b), St. Martin of Tours, (c), Attila?
2. Give an account of Charles the Great and his government.
A 3. What do you know of the Feudal system in France?
A 1. What do you know of the ancient inhabitants of Mesopotamia? Write in detail about Babylon, Ashurbanipal.
2. What did a great scholar discover at Bebistan, and what was the result?
A 1. How did Caesar inspire his soldiers with valour? Give two instances.
2. Describe the crossing of the Rhine by Caesar.
3. What is the work of the Home Office, the Colonial Office, the Foreign Office, a County Council?
B 1. Why did Fabius refuse to wear a laurel wreath and come home in triumph? Tell the whole story.
A 1. Describe the Fen Counties.
2. Give a map of Lincolnshire, putting in the chief towns and physical features.
3. What do you know of Cambridge?
4. By what routes could you travel from Australia to England? Give a rough sketch map. What do you know about Queensland?
5. Give an account of Henry the Navigator.
B 1. Describe a visit to the Lake District. What mountains and lakes could you see?
2. What do you know about "the Border"?
3. Tell the story of a piece of coal.
4. Describe a visit to an ostrich farm.
5. Write what you can about Drake and his "Golden Hind."
A 1. Describe, with drawing if possible, a cockroach, a grasshopper, a caddis fly, a dragon fly.
2. How are mountains formed? What is a volcano? Give a diagram.
A & B Describe, with drawings, the twigs and buds of the oak, sycamore, beech, willow, hazel.
B 1. What do you know about thread-slime, the bolt flower, flint shells built by slime animals?
or, 1. What account did Mr. Pachytylus Migratorius (Plague Locust) give of himself?
2. What is to be found in the depths of the sea? What is an iceberg? Draw one.
A Gerard Dou's "The Grocer's Shop."
B Jan Steen's "The Painter and His Wife."
A 1. Find the H.C.F. of 1788, 3718, 1887, and the L.C.M. of 15, 45, 125, 225.
2. Find the cost of 3 cwt, 2 qr. 21 lb. at £3:12:8 per cwt.
3. Find the simple interest on £450 for 150 days at 8%.
B 1. How far would a train go in 15 hours at the rate of 48 km. an hour? How many metres a minute does this train travel?
2. Some tea cost £4:9:0 per cwt. Give the price per lb.
3. Measure your pace and find the length and width of a room or passage (take measurements in "break").
A 1. Construct an equilateral triangle on a base of 7 cm. and circumscribe a circle about it.
2. If a man whose hieght is 6 feet, stands 12 feet from a certain lamp-post, he finds that his shadow cast by the light is 12 feet in length. How high is the light above the ground?
1. In what cases are the following,--insulae, coronam, filia, servi, puerum?
2. Translate into Latin,--we may be, they might be, he has been, I should have been, he will be.
A 1. Describe, in French, picture 17.
2. Use, in sentences, as direct and indirect object,--me, le, te, nous, vous.
3. Use, in sentences, the First Person Plural of the Imperfect Indicative and Preterite of,--finir, vendre, choisir, repondre.
B 1. Describe, in French, picture 7.
2. Make sentences using the French for,--first, 100, 17, March 27th, half-past two.
1. An illustration (with name) from Julius Caesar.
2. A design for a book cover in twigs.
3. A royal procession in India or England.
1. How many kinds of Children's Music are there? Give examples of each type. In what category would you place Schumann's "Scenes of Childhood," and why?
2. Write a few lines on any five of the following,--Clara Wieck; "Traumerei"; the "Lied" or art-song; Florestan; G.A.D.E.; Jean Paul Richter; Schumann's use of the "Marseillaise."
Father to choose a humn, a poem, or a scene from Shakespeare, and two passages from the Bible Lessons.
Father to choose an unseen passsage, giving marks for enunciation.
Examine in work done and report upon stage reached.
Father to choose an English and a French, and a German song, two tonic sol-fa exercises.
Drill, before parents.
Outside friend to examine, but list of handicrafts completed to appear on Report Form.
N.B. 1.--Examination to begin on Monday, March 27th. Papers to be posted on Saturday, April 1st, with no other enclosures.
2.--Subjects thus indicated (*) to be marked on the Parents' Report according Regulations.
3.--Members are asked to read the Regulations carefully, as much time is lost by the Examiners when (a) there is no numbered list of the subjects sent for examination, (b) the papers for each child are not fastened together, or (c) the name of the member does not appear.
4.--Answers may not be written on both sides of the paper. The papers should be tied together loosely with string.
5.--Please note carefully (a) the amount of written work expected in Form I., (b) the Regulations as to the number of papers to be sent in by Schools.
Handicrafts, Nature Note-Books, Century Books, which are really well done may be sent to the Secretary, House of Education, Ambleside, but not with the Examination Paters. Stamped and addressed cover , for return must be enclosed, and the packet (not more than 4 exhibits for one scholar) should reach Ambleside by May 15th.
|AO is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.|
Copyright © 2002-2020 AmblesideOnline. All rights reserved. Use of this curriculum subject to the terms of our License Agreement.
KEEP AO FREE by respecting our copyrights and License   Header and Menus by Aidan Bennett, Apr 2020